Monday, January 2, 2012

Resolutions


Well, it is officially 2012!!!


Usually, I don't like to make a big deal out of the New Year celebrations. I did a few years ago, when my friend Kate lived here because she LOVES New Year's, but after she moved to Virginia I kind of allowed the holiday to fall to the back burner.


This year, however, I've been more excited about New Year's then ever. I think it is because I've been making so many changes and I really can't wait until this year is over because I can't wait to see what all is going to have happen! I mean, as I stated at the end of my last post, so much has already changed so a year from now...I mean I really just can't even imagine! But, last month I felt like my next birthday was still just soooooooo far away because it was still 2011. Now that it is 2012, my next birthday just seems that much closer.


Anyway, with the new year comes the tradition of making New Year's resolutions.


Kate made a comment, a while back, that she liked the idea of making new year resolutions on your birthday instead of the actual New Year. And I completely agree with her, so I think I will continue to do it every year. But, I do still have two resolutions that I made this weekend.


1. To work on not procrastinating so much! I am the absolute WORST procrastinator in the WORLD!!! But I really want to work on that so I'm going definitely make it a priority this year.


and 2. To walk in the OKC Memorial Marathon!!!


For as long as I can remember, I have always wanted to run a marathon. I don't know why, you can call me crazy if you want to, but I just always have. And with all the changes I've been making, and all the motivation and excitement I have right now, I figured what better time then ever! So, I have registered to walk the half-marathon, which is 13 miles.


My friend, Shavonne, has done the marathon before so it has been so fun to sit at work and just talk talk talk about it. And also, I think my friend Amanda will be doing it with me this year so it is awesome knowing that I have so many friends that want to do this too.


Why is this all such a big deal, you might ask? Well, it is because I am not in shape AT ALL!!! Right now, I have just gotten up to walking one mile a day. And in fact, just this morning, was the first time I was able to walk the full mile without my calves and ankles turning to FIRE!!!


But I am committed to change! I don't care how much it hurts or how long it takes me, I will finish this! If I have to have my legs amputated at the finish line, I don't care, I am doing this!!!


I know I can do it! It will be awesome! It will be amazing! And when it is all over and done, I know that I will be insanely proud of myself!!!


I have lived in Norman my whole life, and I vividly remember what it was like on April 19th, 1995. The site where the building was, was a block from my mother's office. And I remember going to work with her on weekends, and I remember looking out the window and seeing a building and then looking out the window and seeing destruction.


So, I do want to mention, real quick, that I did sign up to raise additional funds for the event. The money that participants pay for the marathon goes towards keeping the memorial running. And maybe I am bias, but I think the memorial is beautiful and perfect. But participants can also sign up to have people sponsor them, and then they get to choose which part of the operation they want the additional funds to go towards.


I chose for any additional funds I raise to go towards the student scholarship program.


If anyone who reads this would like to help sponsor me, please visit my fundraiser page HERE


Thank you guys for all your support and encouragement! And I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

  1. I think it is AWESOME that you have set this goal for yourself!!! Jeremy volunteered last year, and we've talked about walking with Jonathan in the Kid's Marathon in the future. Maybe we'll have to do it this year!
    Either way, I'll be one of your cheerleaders! Goooo Courtney! You can do it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right on, Bittner! I wanted to volunteer to do it with you, but I wasn't sure if it was something you wanted to undertake by yourself. Let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! Good luck!!! I have committed to a Warrior Dash, which is about 3 miles with a ton of obstacles along the way, but we will see if I actually go through with it. It's still a few months out. I can't wait to hear how yours goes tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I hope you went through with it. Two years ago I did a 10k and I had a lot of fun. I was totally worried about coming in last, but I didn't (It's not a very "serious" 10k. Some people run in costumes, people do it in wheelchairs, old people do it, kids do it, and of course the serious runners do it too). I didn't do it last year because I didn't have anyone to go with me then but I am hoping that Kate will do it with me this year.

    ReplyDelete