Wednesday, January 11, 2012

DeclarationsConfirmationsTestimonials...Affirmations


So, a while ago I wrote a post where I made a joke about affirmations. I was surprised afterwards because I had a lot of my friends (people I love, respect, admire, and someday want to be just like!) come back at me saying; I've used affirmations, I say affirmations all the time, affirmations have helped me. 


I felt like such a jerk after this, that when I did have dinner with Tracy, a couple of weeks ago, I had to bring this up. 


"So, Tracy, affirmations? What is the deal? Do they work? Do you have any statistics? If I start saying affirmations tomorrow, can you give me some kind of a time table for when they will start working?" 


To which, Tracy pretty much laughed at me! 


But she made some pretty good points to back up her laughter.


One being that affirmations only work if you believe them. So, you have to start simple, baby steps, and say the things you believe but are simply trying to reaffirm. 


Two being that, simply put, you aren't going to say them every day. Some days you are going to be in a hurry. Some days you are going to forget. Some days you just wont want to. And some days, you aren't going to believe them as much as you did the day before. 


The assignment then became: what simple truths can I start with?


At first, I had nothing. But after the revelation I had, about realizing that my dark disgusting corners aren't as dark and disgusting as I thought they were, I am starting to believe that I can be loved. 


So, last night, I finally broke out the dry erase marker and wrote my affirmations all over my bathroom mirror. I'm going to share them with you now, and I will say that one of them I am particularly proud of.


I deserve love. I am worthy of love. - I am just starting to believe these two so they definitely need to be cemented for me. 


God has a plan for me. - It is important to remind myself that God does have a plan and he has control, I don't have to worry so much. 


There is something inside me that is beautiful. - I am not at the point yet, where I can comfortably look at myself and say that I am beautiful. But I do know that there is beauty inside me. The more I affirm that small amount, the more I will start to see it.


Sadness begone. - this one is from my favorite movie that I saw last year, HappyThankYouMorePlease. And it basically sums up, for me, the belief that trouble is inevitable but misery is optional. I will not give in to misery again. 


Thank you, More please. - Also taken from HappyThankYouMorePlease, and it supports the belief that if you put gratitude out into the universe, you will be blessed in return. 


and right in the dead center of my mirror...


I AM CHANGING MY LIFE RIGHT NOW


This is the one that I want to scream from rooftops. This is the one that I need to repeat to myself every minute of every day. 


So many of us spend so much time thinking about how we want a different life. How we want to be different people, better people, happy people. I am doing that, right now! It is happening now, I am in it now!


In those moments when I am exhausted and want desperately to get back into my bed and under the covers. In those moments when I am going for my walks and my ankles are on fire and I'm gasping for air. In those moments when I fear I have shared too much of myself. Those moments when I am so uncomfortable and I just want to crawl back behind my walls and take cover from the world...


Those are the moments when I need to remind myself; I am changing my life right now! 


I am grateful that God has given me the strength to change my life.


I am even more grateful that He has blessed me with the ability to be aware of it.

2 comments:

  1. I agree affirmations can be cheesy sometimes. When they come from your soul they are not cheesy at all. I think that we are used to seeing the over enthusiastic life coaches and we begin to dismiss the idea of it. It's good you have come to a place where you have found the ones you need to say and have made them something necessary to your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may steal this idea of writing affirmations on the bathroom mirror. It's a good place to remind yourself cause you probably look at it, at least twice a day. Your affirmations are good too :)

    ReplyDelete