Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What's in a "Type"?



A couple of days ago I was at work helping a customer named John. We were talking and laughing the whole time about how much he hates winter and snow and how much I LOVE winter and snow.

The whole time, in the back of my mind, I had a "danger danger danger!!!" siren going off and a voice saying "please don't ask for my number, please don't consider this as flirtation, please oh please just leave me alone..."

Now, it would be very easy for me to say, that I had this kind of reaction because John just isn't my "type", but the truth is that I'm pretty sure I always have this reaction.

I think it is very possible that in life I always go after the guys that would never ask for my number, but then the guys that do ask for my number I always see as being...for lack of a better way of saying this...not in my league. Do I even have a league? honestly I have no idea, but for the sake of this post let's just say I do and move on for now...

So, what is my type?

Well, for starters let us say that my type is definitely not a customer at my store! I work for a pay day loan company, and I'm not saying that I need a guy with squeaky clean finances (because I don't even have squeaky clean finances). But if you loan at my store, I can see all your dirty little secrets. And that is not something I need to know about someone I am just getting to know.

Other than that, I usually go for serious, slightly up tight, kind of a wall flower type of guy.

I've always loved the romantic movies and comedies where you have opposites attracting. You know, how one partner is serious and straight laced and passive, and the other is wild and crazy and therefore the more aggressive one. And because I know myself to have this silly and crazy side, I tend to look for the serious guy as my partner.

The only problem is I'm not aggressive at all. And then, I'm attracted to passive guys, but I get frustrated when they aren't aggressive enough to ask for my number. Of course, once a guy does take that initiative, the warning sirens go off and I run for the hills.

Do you see my problem here?

So basically, I can still go for passive guys, but then I have to push aside my insecurities and my fears, suck it up, and be the aggressive one.
Or, I can continue to be passive, but when a guy shows interest in me, and asks for my number, I need to quit running.

what a conundrum!

While typing this post, I'm sitting at work talking to my friend Shavonne. I asked her what her thoughts were on my "type" of guy and it was funny to hear how different her thoughts were when compared to my own.

It was as if she was thinking of the type of guy I "should" be with, where as I was thinking of some ideal type of guy, romantic comedies tell me to be with.

So, today, the question I have for my readers is:

What type of guy do you think I should be on the look out for?

And just for fun, I'll also share that I like auburn or dark hair with green eyes, nice smile with a good laugh and a great sarcastic dry sense of humor, not too masculine but still manly, good with technology, maybe have a creative artistic outlet of some form, and as a bonus; good with cars.  I know it is rare, but for some reason, I really find it hot when I hear that a guy can build me a car. I mean that is really not a skill guys put a lot of effort into these days, but someone should tell them that girls really do like it.

5 comments:

  1. A guy with a scarf who will help you bake cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you open up your heart
    You never know how it's gonna end
    And that's the scary part
    Walls are gonna tumble on down
    Dam's gonna break
    When you give yourself away

    When you look up to the sky
    Feel like ya just don't belong
    And wishin' you could fly
    You find out you're not alone
    And really all the same

    When You Give Yorself Away - Gary Allan

    ReplyDelete
  3. They would need to be a reader, or at least have read more than the back of the cereal box in the last six months.

    He would need to have kind eyes and the actual kindness to back it up.

    Dog lover, fo' sho'.

    Employed, owner of transportation, and not living in their momma's basement.

    Not argumentative, but definitely willing to stand their ground on their beliefs.

    Someone who can handle the fact that sometimes a girl needs "Me Time" that doesn't include them, and they're perfectly fine with it.

    You covered the sense of humor thing - which is a must.

    Would you be OK with his creative outlet being cars? Because that's the best of both worlds, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wait, did he ask for your number?

    Honestly, until I stalked Aaron into marrying me, I was kind of the same way. It was safer to like guys that weren't likely to ask me out, and I tended to cringe away from the guys who actually did want to date me (or at least yelled out a "Hey, chica!" as they passed by in their lawn care trucks... what can I say, Mexican men love curves!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the same problem, I am always attracted to the ones that I know wouldn't be attracted to me so that I don't have to put myself out there so I completely get that. Putting yourself out there is scary!

    I agree that you should not date one of your customers. That can only end badly, especially in your job, because you obviously know a lot of financial info about them.

    I think your qualifications fit you pretty well (and the car thing is really hot) but I also agree with Holly that you definitely want a guy who is employed (I'm not saying he has to have gobs of money or anything, but you don't want a freeloader!) and is accepting of me time.

    ReplyDelete