Tuesday, November 29, 2011

And So It Begins…

So today is the big day. The challenge has officially started!



Today is my 29th birthday. I went to my favorite French bakery for some birthday quiche this morning, it was delicious! And tonight I will be celebrating with some of my best girl friends with dinner and karaoke!

While I was enjoying my birthday quiche this morning I did begin praying in my new journal. So, so far we are off to a good start.

This weekend I went to mass at my church, St. Marks, and the priest delivered this homily about the season of advent. For those who may not know, the season of advent occurs during four weeks prior to Christmas, and it is looked at as a time for the church to make itself ready for the coming of Christ. So the homily that my priest was giving was all about how advent was a season of waiting, but advent is also a time to be proactive, to be prepared. And he said that time is precious and it shouldn't be wasted.

I couldn’t help but be struck at how fitting it was to hear this homily the Sunday prior to starting my own journey of preparation.

Unfortunately, unlike Advent, I don’t have a declared date of change. When the church enters into the state of advent, they know that it ends on December 25th, Christmas Day. Christ comes and the church is changed 
forever.

My challenge may end on my 30th birthday, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that the journey will end.

And it’s not like God can just whisper in my ear…

“Hey, Courtney, I am so excited for you to start this journey of getting ready for the change that is about to come your way! In fact I’m so excited that I can’t hold the surprise in any longer!!! You are going to meet your future husband on April 1st 2012, and be married two years later! Shhh, don’t tell anyone! It’s a secret!”

Of course, God, if you happen to read this, that would be totally awesome!!!

Anyway, back to what I was saying about the homily. I’m choosing to look at it as a sign. A sign that God supports my efforts to change and make myself ready to love someone (and to accept love in return). A sign that I am on the right path and that God is beside me on it.

Today is only the beginning. 

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps a birthday, rather than a new year, is the best time to start a revolution in your life. You are inspiring, Courtney! Just remember that any man in the world would be lucky to be loved by you, because you are God's peculiar treasure (it's the title of a Christian book and a phrase from the Bible although I forget what translation and I've always liked it, because I'm pretty peculiar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very excited to be following your journey through your 30th year. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that I should read this today because we were just discussing what God can do for you in church this past Sunday. It would be completely awesome if God would just spell out what he will do for you (and when), but he doesn't, you have to just trust that he will lead you down the right path, which is really hard (for me anyway).

    ReplyDelete