Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Mommy Dearest



Today is Valentine's Day!

Even though I have never had a boyfriend, and therefore have never had one of those big glamorous romantic holidays. I actually LOVE Valentine's Day!!!

Mainly because my mom, Taska, has been my Valentine for the last three years!

The tradition started right before Valentine's Day 2010. I hate horror movies! I mean I really hate them! Horror movies tend to haunt me for weeks after I watch them! My imagination just runs wild! 

But that particular holiday, I was in the middle of mending a broken heart, and therefore I was thirsting for blood! I had never in my life wanted to see a horror movie so bad! I wanted blood and guts and gore and violence and carnage!

So, I called my mom. I said, "Hey mom, that new movie Wolfman with Anthony Hopkins just came out. Do you want to be my Valentine?" And being the awesome mother that she is, she jumped at the chance. We went to our local theater that has balcony seating where you can order your dinner and drinks while you are watching your movie. And the whole evening was perfect!

Wolfman turned out to be a great choice too. There was blood and violence, but it was also on the tamer side of horror films. So, I was still able to sleep at night.

Last year, I went to my parent's house to meet up with my mom after she got off work. While I was waiting for her I got caught up in watching the 1978 film Ice Castles. When my mom came home she sat down to watch the last twenty minutes with me. Then the 2010 Ice Castles came on and we both looked at each other, and then we ultimately decided to stay home and watch it. BUT, when that was over, we watched the first 5 minutes of a Criminal Minds episode with Tim Curry, and I had nightmares for a week!

This year, my mom and I are going to dinner and then going see the new Daniel Radcliffe movie The Woman In Black.

My mom is kind, generous, and caring. She goes out of her way to celebrate all holidays to the fullest and makes sure that everyone she loves has a special day. She is a constant source of love and encouragement for each of her three daughters. She was blessed to marry her best friend thirty-three years ago.

I love my mom dearly and can think of no one I would rather have as a Valentine.

3 comments:

  1. Awww, your mom sounds so sweet! And I can't believe you saw The Woman in Black! That looks soooo creepy! I'd probably have nightmares for days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your mom sounds wonderful!!! That's so awesome that she is there for you. And sometimes horror movies are exactly what you need (although, I throw myself into music, personally). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom rocks! I am one of those Valentine Haters so it's nice to read a positive no relationship way to spend it.

    ReplyDelete